Seabright’s coffeehouse seems like an idyllic place to sip a beverage, have a chat with a neighbor or watch the changing skies over the Gulf. The centenarian building is being restored from a rich past as a farm house, one whose story reflects the history of Point Roberts.
“The Point” has been inhabited for over 9,000 years by the ancestors of today’s Lummi and Tsawwassen peoples. Europeans first arrived in the 1700s, and in the late 1800s Icelandic immigrants began setting up permanent homes in Point Roberts, coming to farm the land and work in the salmon canneries.
In 1899, Ingvar Goodman and his wife Anna left Iceland to start a new life in North America. The couple lived in Manitoba for seven years before finally settling in Point Roberts in 1907. Goodman purchased 112 acres of land in the south-west region of Point Roberts. The now-abandoned Goodman House, located on a bluff just to the east of Seabright, was their family home.
In 1909 another Icelandic couple, Johannes Saemundsson and Linbjorg Olafsdottir, bought 16 acres of land from Ingvar, most of it on what is now Seabright Farm. They built the small farmhouse and it served as their family home for many years, until it was eventually left empty. Now under restoration to become the Seabright Farm Coffeehouse, it’s a treasured link between Point Roberts’ past as a farming community, and its future as a premier resort destination.
Illustration of the Coffeehouse Restoration